Sunday, September 9, 2012

Are You Ready For Some Football!!!!

Ah... It is finally here... Football Season.

What can I say, I am super excited about today. Today is the start of regular season. However, that isn't the only reason why I am excited. Today I also get to watch my team play - The Green Bay Packers! Ok - so they really aren't "my" team. I don't own them or anything like that. I am just a fan. And like any other dedicated Packer Fan I have claimed my piece of them!

But you may be wondering why I am so excited about watching them play. Well frankly, I haven't been able to really watch them much over the last two years. It is sad. Coming from Green Bay, this is nearly considered a crime to not watch a game. (Second behind living in Green Bay and liking some other team like the Vikings or the Bears! Shudder!)

But it was out of my control. We moved to Southern California and sadly most of the games have not been broadcast for us to see without going some place special to see them. (And how am I supposed to do that with 3 kids in tow - they frown upon bringing them to a bar!)

So today is a happy day. I get to watch my team play. Ironically though, the game before hand (Washington and New Orleans) ran over their scheduled time - so I missed a good half hour of the first part. Then, it seemed as if the refs were trying to hit a record by how many flags they could throw in the first half, most of which were on the Packers. Either way - win or lose - I am still excited to be able to watch them play.

Yesterday when I was at a party we were talking football. I thought it was odd because since I moved to California, football just doesn't seem to be as big of a deal. It is nothing like living in the Green Bay area, where you live and breath football for the entire year! Here you have scatteredness. It is like a football melting pot - everybody likes a team (not necessarily the one in their state) but they just aren't like us Packer Fans! We are all about the team! The one and only team - at least in our eyes.

So yesterday, we were asked the question... Are you true fans? Well of course I am a true fan. I am not going to turn my back on them just because I move; or if they are losing; or if one of my favorite players is no longer around! I will support the Packers any where I go and there is nothing you can say to change my mind.

Now I don't mind the other teams in the NFL - as long as they are not playing the Packers. For instance, I grew fond of the Detroit Lions because one of my clients from The Barbershop - A Hair Salon For Men - was a fan of theirs. Naturally, I only followed them so I could have ammo to tease him with when he came in for his haircut! It worked. That year was a really, really bad year for the Lions.

It is sad to think that now I don't really get to watch my football team. Makes me homesick. But at least today - I guarantee I have a little bit of home - right on my TV! :)

Disclaimer: When it comes to controversial topics, football and the team you support is right behind Politics and Religion. So regardless of what team you root for, these players are great athletes. Let's remember that and remember that it is all for the fun of the game. So let's support our team, but show good sportsmanship while doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Virtual Mirror