Thursday, December 13, 2012

2012: The End of The World Is Near

We have all been hearing about how the world is going to end on Dec. 21, 2012. And why shouldn't we believe what the Mayans have predicted? Sure, there have been other predictions that have been debuffed, but this one is sure to be the truth. I mean seriously, did they just end the calendar in hopes of freaking us all out one day?

And the signs... look at all the signs. 

  • The weird weather patterns
  • people randomly turning into zombies (and they are blaming bath salts) 
  • natural disasters 
  • touchdowns being called because a player caught the opposing team member who was holding the ball in the endzone (Yes, I am talking about the Packer/Seahawk game!) 

How could we not assume this is true?

Ok - so maybe it will be the end of the world... maybe it won't? Or maybe it will just be the end of the world as we know it, meaning that we will live to play another day on Dec. 21, it just might be a little different than how business ran the days and weeks and months beforehand.

But, today as I looked at the calendar, I realized that in one week, it is the mark of the last completely normal day before the end of the world. And if the world ends on the 21st, we don't know when it is going to happen? Will it blow up at midnight on the dot... or will we have the entire day on Friday before we are slammed into the apocalypse?

It really got me thinking.

What are you going to be doing on what might be the last day of the world as we know it?

For me, I have watched the movie 2012 and I know what happens in California. I can promise you that I won't be in California. I will be on my way back home to Wisconsin to celebrate Christmas with my side of the family.

Then I realized how everybody else has a much better opportunity. They can plan for an epic night with family and friends. I, on the other hand, will be driving (or sleeping in the passenger seat as my husband drives!) But maybe to add a little excitement, I will put the song, "The Air That I Breath!" on my Ipod and we can play it at midnight on the dot.


Or maybe we will do something special, like stop for ice cream! 

So what are your plans for your last night before the world ends?



10 comments:

  1. This was funny! I too love the end of the world theories. I actually did a pretty in depth study of the book of Revelation after reading those Left Behind books. Interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this "end-of-the-world" stuff is thought-provoking. I have to see that movie, too. On the 21st, I'll probably be running around doing Christmas shopping, but then again, maybe I shouldn't bother?? Great song pick by the way!! I like your musical taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I have to say, I find the whole topic fascinating, and I read some really interesting stuff a few years ago. Now that it is one week away, I am kind of avoiding thinking about it, which is dumb. Thanks for reminding me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No plans as of yet and never really bought into stuff like this. i will most likely be sleeping at midnight, because that's how I roll, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking I might get to do some Christmas shopping just in time for the end--what'dya thank?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be sleeping at that time...lol

    Seriously did not think of my end yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um...well, I'll probably be writing or taking pictures. I guess if you're gonna go, it may as well be doing something you love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you I LOVE watching natural disaster and end of the world movies...always thinking, "Thank goodness that's not real life," and now...well, who knows?! I don't think we're going to know when the world ends though, and I think there will be a lot more freaky weather and natural disaster things that happen before then. I'm just happy to be at home with Geoff and the cats, and a bit of a distance away from the sea... I hope that it does end in a way as we know it for one reason - some people are sick f@#ks and I don't see how things are going to change that drastically. Maybe God will strike them all down in one go on the 21st? That would be a fantastic Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure the post-end of the world jokes are already making their rounds...but I suggested to a colleague at the office yesterday that, (just for a little joke) when he wakes up in his bed, on the morning of the 22nd, as soon as his wife wakes up he should say, "who the hell are you and what have you done with my wife? and what is this place"

    ...that's alright, he didn't laugh that much *either*.

    But it's a joke with a semi-moral. If the world ends on the 21st, especially if we are like Janine, (who I'm kinda with on this one) and we go to bed early, how will we know that the world *hasn't* ended?
    Not to get too metaphysical, but Im agreeing with what most everyone else here seems to be saying, 'it's not so much if the world ends on the 21st, but how do (we) spend the time between now and then... are we taking things for granted'.
    In a sense treating the people and things in our lives like we were immortal? something like that....
    great thought provocation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Since the world was supposed to have ended at least a dozen times by now, I think I'll just ignore the warning. If it DOES end, it won't matter either way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Virtual Mirror